Ballet Around The World 
Автор Сообщение
Завсегдатай

Сообщение Ballet Around The World
Jun 6 - 8, 2008: The Showcase of the World's Greatest Ballet Academies

Protégés II

Изображение
Kennedy Center print

Royal Ballet School: Galanteries (Bintley/Mozart) - 22 min.
pause - 5 min.

Paris Opera Ballet School: Soir de fête (Staats/Delibes) - 26 min.
Intermission - 20 min.

School of American Ballet: Concerto Barocco (Balanchine/J.S. Bach) - 19 min.
pause - 5 min.

Bolshoi Ballet Academy: Grand Pas from Paquita (Petipa/Minkus) - 32 min.

Изображение

Последний раз редактировалось Octavia 17 июн 2008, 17:20, всего редактировалось 3 раз(а).

08 июн 2008, 18:18
Завсегдатай

Triple-digit heat could have kept others from traveling to Washington DC but not a ballet lover like me. It is the second time that Kennedy Center hosts the Ballet School Fest. The first Proteges I took place two years ago.

There is that special atmosphere that surrounds The Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. Strategically removed from hustle and bustle of downtown, it floats over the Potomac River in proud isolation. The many steps on several levels that lead up to it, every time gives me a sensation that I am climbing the steps of some ancient Greek Temple.

I worried a bit that the concert would be to a phonogram and was elated to hear the Kennedy Center orchestra conducted by Ron J. Matson once again. And so the ballet kids were back.

ACT I.

The Royal Ballet School
Galanteries
Music: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Choreography: David Bintley (1986)

pause

The Paris Opera Ballet School
Soir de fete
Music: Leo Delibes
Choreography: Leo Staats (1925)

The Royal Ballet School performance was once again a disappointment. And so was Bintley’s choreography, despite of all the kudos given to it in the playbill. A rather unimaginative piece, with no structure to it to break the monotony of perpetual pseudo-romantic movements. Just good enough to demonstrate that the students have mastered ballet basics.

The second piece showcased a more accomplished group of dance students from the Paris Opera Ballet school. The choreography by Leo Staats had lovely allegro passages and was brilliant in its logical design of corps de ballet groups, adorned in bejeweled romantic tutus. Both girls and boys demonstrated superior technique of petit batterie. And I don’t mean superior to that of other schools. I mean superior to that of many professional companies. I was rather astonished to see that every single dancer had absolutely perfect, beautifully arched feet that added to the overall impression.

And yet, in either performance I could spot a dancer at sight of whom you go like: “yes, he or she is exceptional”.

But that was about to change...

... in Act II.

09 июн 2008, 04:23
Завсегдатай

ACT II.

The School of American Ballet

Concerto Barocco
Music: Johann Sebastian Bach
Choreography: George Balanchine (1941)

Like few other Balanchine ballets Concerto Barocco has its beginnings in class. It is choreographed to the magnificent piece of music by J. S. Bach: Concerto in D Minor for Two Violins, which is even a greater masterpiece than the ballet itself. Some aspects of the Balanchine's choreography might appear naïve, like two girls personifying the two violins, yet apparent simplicity is deceiving, for Mr. B intuitively follows the logical structure of Bach’s composition with ever increasing complexity of form and combinations. In some instances he even attempts to illustrate polyphonic nature of Bach’s work.

As for the dancing I found it very inspired, more so than when I saw this work being performed by NYCB. Perhaps this is largely due to the amazing Farrell-esque Megan Johnson whose motions were so natural yet so unbelievably beautiful, that they seemed to stem from music itself. She totally blew me away! Remember this name for she has that something extra-special.

Изображение
Picture from SAB Workshop

Jumping a bit ahead, I can say that out of all ballet schools presented at the fest, SAB was a sure winner and if such talents are to join NYCB before too long, I think I am going to attend it more often.

pause

Последний раз редактировалось Octavia 11 июн 2008, 21:51, всего редактировалось 1 раз.

09 июн 2008, 22:50
Завсегдатай

Сообщение The Bolshoi Ballet Academy
Изображение

The Bolshoi Ballet Academy
Grand Pas Classique from Paquita
Music: Leon Minkus
Choreography: Marius Petipa

The last and yes, the least is The Bolshoi Academy. While the quality of choreography kept growing with each offering of the night, the quality of dancing after having reached its peak with the outstanding SAB performance, took a nose dive with the Bolshoi Academy. The best I can say is that they didn’t totally destroy Marius Petipa’s choreography, for through the forest of badly turned in legs and substandard of what must pass there for port de bras, one could still discern the divine logic which lies in the core of Marius Petipa’s greatness. Each and every variation (there were eight of them) is a testament to the choreographer’s inexhaustible creativity. It is if though he can go on and on for eternity imagining more intricate dance combinations and there will never be enough of time, space or air to express all that is inside that bright head of his.

Alas, the dancers did not do justice to the piece. I was astonished to see the number of unsuitable children in terms of ballet requirements: big heads, short necks, stoop shoulders, absence of even mediocre turnout bore testament that the vast majority made it to the academy via infamous Bolshoi blat (rus). There were two-three beautifully schooled girls; alas they had been exiled to the back of the stage giving the spotlight to the lead that finished her horrific fouette turns next to the orchestra pit.

I don’t want to end on a sour note, plus there was a bright spot. His name is Artem Ovcharenko. Already a company member and although not a sensational dancer, he nevertheless won the hearts of the audience with articulate body language and alpha-male charisma.

10 июн 2008, 05:44
    Завсегдатай

Сообщение PLAYBILL
      Proteges II: PLAYBILL

Изображение.Изображение

Изображение.Изображение

10 июн 2008, 16:05
    Завсегдатай

I was elated to learn that both Megan Johnson (1st violin) and Lydia Wellington (2st violin) had been named NYCB Apprentices.

Изображение
    Lydia Wellington(left) & Megan Johnson(right) in Concerto Barocco

11 июн 2008, 21:49
    Завсегдатай

Сообщение Marina Semyonova
    Bolshoi pays tribute to 100-year-old ballerina

Изображение

17 июн 2008, 17:26