Текущее время: 28 мар 2024, 16:37

Don Quixote at the Ken-Cen. Sat., Jan. 17 (evening) 
Автор Сообщение
Завсегдатай

Сообщение Don Quixote at the Ken-Cen. Sat., Jan. 17 (evening)
Kitri: Alina Somova
Bazil: Evgeny Ivanchenko
Queen of the Dryads: Ekaterina Kondaurova

Now I see where all the gas set aside for Ukraine did go. It went to pump up the flagging Mariinsky Ken-Cen season 2009. I must admit that I enjoyed myself last night. No, I still don’t think that Kitri is Alina’s role, but as a professional and steel-inside person she worked at it and worked at it and bested Vishneva 10 times over. Last night's performance brought back two year old memories of yet another Don Quixote. Just like the case with Somova, Kitri is not Zakharova’s role per se, yet she worked at it and finally beat the odds to deliver the performance that stays in your memory long after cheap imitations of lesser dancers went into oblivion.

It was not just Somova’s night, it was Mariinsky night that was back in the saddle, bright eyed and bushy tailed. Somova proved to be a team player, a quality which will serve her well into the future. Don Quixote played by Vladimir Ponomarev, was even more impressive than the night before and so was Basil-Ivanchenko who dropped his panic-stricken demeanor of not being able to please a diva and assumed a man-is-the-boss attitude suited for the production. The performance flowed naturally sans false pretensions and the audience that remained drawn in throughout, gave all the dancers the ovation they so richly deserved.

18 янв 2009, 18:09