Текущее время: 28 мар 2024, 19:47

The Sleeping Beauty at the Ken-Cen. Feb 2010 
Автор Сообщение
Завсегдатай

Сообщение Re: The Sleeping Beauty at the Ken-Cen
Feb 13 & 14: Victoria Tereshkina, Vladimir Shklyarov, Alina Somova, Evgeny Ivanchenko

Victoria Tereshkina who danced Aurora Saturday night possesses sterling technique, coupled with lovely lines and Kshesinskaya-like panache. Convincing actress, Victoria can end a musical phrase with effective gesture and spot a perfectly vertical pirouette. Yet, I was longing for more in The Rose Adagio, this crown jewel of Marius Petipa's choreography. This "extra something" was on display the following evening, when a newly appointed Prima ballerina Alina Somova took center stage. Technically flawless and luminously beautiful, Somova left the audience in awe. And it is not the 180 degree développé that makes her stand out, but certain softness in her knees that makes every movement fluid, word "velvety" comes to mind.

Vladimir Shklyarov and Evgeny Ivanchenko, who partnered Tereshkina and Somova respectively, were equally brilliant in their role of Prince Charming. Vladimir who is now at the very pick of his physical and artistic powers carries the stamp of elegance, this calling card of Mariinsky school of ballet to the the spoiled perfection. Powerful airy jumps were balanced by soft landings and clean feet positions. Nothing in access or just for show. Ivanchenko's Desire was the embodiment of chivalry if not virtuosity, was both a doer and a dreamer, perhaps more of a dreamer, the Poet Prince, if you like.

Lilac Fairy: Ekaterina Kondaurova, Oksana Skorik

I remember being very excited from seeing Kondaurova on stage of NYCC some year and a half ago. She was one of, if not the brightest star of the tour. Not this time. Ekaterina was proficient and regal, yes, but her character was rather superficial, almost cartoonish. Oksana Skorik who took this role the following night was absolutely amazing and not just technically. If she didn’t believe in fairies in general, she certainly believed in this particular one and made all of us in the audience believe as well. Face radiant, lilac tunic shimmering with silver, Oksana’s slender figure glided over the stage in pas de bourree. And in her interpretation it was not a connecting step, or rather series of steps, but the focal point, part of characterization of a Fairy that must lead, but do so in a very subtle way. Hers was the loveliest Lilac Fairy I have seen so far.

On Konstantin Sergeyev’s production

I must say that despite existing criticism, and save for somewhat shabby costumes and utterly unsuitable yellow wigs in pas d’action of the first act, Konstantin Sergeev’s rendition of The Sleeping Beauty can hold ts own. Each version, be it Nureyev’s, Makarova’s, Malakhov, et al has its strengths and its weaknesses. Perhaps at some point Mariinsky would see it fit to replace K. Sergeev’s production with the one they deem to be closer to Petipa’s original. Costumes, sets, even mime scenes may change under influence of fashion. What stays, however, is the essence of Marius Petipa’s choreography – Garland Waltz, The Rose Adagio, Wedding pas de deux, Bluebird pas de deux… these striking pieces of human creativity that endure despite of fashion, precious bits of human imagination that persist through wars and revolutions, something that we came to recognize as our collective cultural heritage, that something that sets us apart from Neanderthals.

Footnote

I would be amiss not to mention the artists not engaged in principle roles. Anton Pimonov, clad in elegant black dress with a menacing crown was very effective in his personification of evil, without being over the top. This is what I would call a very classy performance. Vladimir Ponomarev and Elena Bazhenova stoke a dignified, if predictable royal couple. Among the fairies I personally favored Yana Selina, Valeria Martynjuk and Tatiana Tkachenko and hope to see them in these and other roles again. Florina and Bluebird danced very prettily on both nights. Even bride-grooms, beside being attentive partners to the balancing princess Aurora, added colorful metaphor of the period - something in the vein of the Three musketeers and D’Artanian (the one in orange).

The second night was particularly satisfying to me. I am deeply grateful both to Mariinsky and The Kennedy Center for the memories that will sustain me until the company returns next season.

Octavia

23 фев 2010, 21:26
Завсегдатай

Сообщение Re: The Sleeping Beauty at the Ken-Cen. Feb 2010
Inside the Kennedy Center

Изображение,,Изображение....Изображение...Изображение

February, 2010. Alina Somova as Aurora

Изображение

Shot in HD

23 фев 2010, 21:27